Lady’s Foot Cream

I just let my mind wander on this, which I find very fun and rewarding. I can’t stomach making art unless it comes from a place of pure ridiculousness and exploration. I have no interest in being profound or high-concept. This was a random sketch that I took to a way higher level of polish than it deserved, but it made me laugh, and that’s worthwhile to me.

Baby-Q

 

Well, obviously I haven’t posted in a while! I’ve fallen into the void that is the video game industry, so naturally nobody sees what I’ve been doing till 2 years later. Also, I’m expecting in July, so I had to make a baby shower invitation. I like it a lot, but looking at it I can’t help but think: “I used to do nothing but record covers for punk and metal bands!?” It blows my mind how things have changed…and how much I’ve taken to working in vector.

Head Labs

This is a Flash Project I did a little while back. I had so much fun that I thought I would do a lot more Flash animation projects, but it looks like my life is heading in a different direction. I’m not sure how technical I can get of this blog without losing you guys, but I’m gonna go ahead and explain the project anyway. It started off as an HMTL5 project that was meant to just be for fun and learning. I thought I would do some simple animations in Flash and use Grant Skinner’s Zoë air application to export sprite sheets that I could manipulate with javaScript. Well, I ended up getting really into the Flash animation part, and what I thought would be around 25 frames ended up being around 180 (even though it’s shot in 2s). The sprites (as you see here) got to be WAY TOO BIG to use, as they are 1.2 MB, whereas the Flash swf was only 143 KB. I probably could have cut down the number of sprite images by programmatically jumping around the frames, but it seemed too tedious. I decided that this kind of animation was not going to work for sprites, and since I basically already had it built in Flash, I continued in that direction. Then in further digression from the goal, I started doing sounds. I had no idea how to do that, so I taught myself Adobe Soundbooth, and got pretty good results considering that I just used the mic on my laptop.

The project lives here: Head Labs Site

New Scanner

My old trustee Epson scanner finally started to go, so I had to get a new one. After a lot of research I decided to get an Epson V30 photo scanner. I went totally low end, and I’m glad I did! Truthfully, more expensive photo scanners are WAY more powerful than I need to scan artwork, and often the only difference is a bunch of software that I also don’t need. I got this scanner for $75 total, and it scans at over 12,000 dpi. That’s over 4 times higher than the capability of the scanner I was using and happy with, but because I never need to scan slides or negatives, I still have no need to to crank it up that high. I’m really happy with the color, it looks dead on, and because it’s LEDs instead of a florescent tube, it starts up and scans SO much faster. Take away: Don’t waste your money on a high dollar scanner for your art.

Bossman HTML5 game

Hi folks!

Sorry I haven’t been posting a lot of artwork. I’m actually taking my work in a new direction, so I’m building a new portfolio, and I want to debut all the new work at once. This project came up, and I was excited to do it. I’ve been studying HTML5, specifically for gaming, for the past few months, and this was an opportunity to actually put something out there. It’s currently at http://playbossman.com. Our team of 4 made this in 48 hours! Granted, it’s buggy as hell and still needs a lot of work. I did the art/concept/sound/level building. Sadly, my concept for the game had to be curtailed significantly to work, and get done in time.

This was for Node Knockout 2011, a 48 hour hack-a-thon revolving around node.js technology. Everything had to be made over the 48 hour period, and there were nearly 300 teams all over the world competing. The other 3 members of my team are in Argentina.

Here’s my sketch for the game. No digital files could be created before the competition started, so I just had a bunch of drawings for my ideas. (I think my wonderful scanner is in it’s twilight days as you can see by the CMYK sprinkles. I’ve had it since my first semester in college, almost 10 years!)

The idea was that you would race 10’s to hundreds of people through a multi-level maze of bisected office space. The level would be constantly scrolling, and if you fell behind or through the cracks you would be killed and receive a pink slip. You could fight other players in a race to become the boss. The rat race in 8 bit game form.

Sadly, there are still some serious technical drawbacks to HTML5 games that I don’t think will be solved any time soon, so this dream could not become a reality, in spite of it’s relative simplicity compared to console games. The developers in Argentina worked incredibly hard on this, and I am in awe of their abilities! To give you some perspective, I am also a web developer, but these guys are so good that I didn’t even touch any code. None of us had ever built a game before, but they are so talented, that they figured out how to do it the week before, and executed it over the weekend. Amazing!

I stepped up myself. I had only made a screaming doughnut for pixel art before this, but I got it now! We used impact.js, which is a great tool. The level editor is very easy to use, and it’s well worth the $99, although we got to use it for free because the creator sponsored the event.

Sketch of the basic level design